Friday, March 25, 2011

Is This a Post?

I wanted to start a group blog to give us (foster Care alumni) all a place that we can go and bring things to the group for support.  There is a tab so that anyone can submit a post, to be posted so feel free.


I can’t say I am struggling with much right now, just the same old dealing with a 12 year old thing.  She doesn’t like me much these days but I don’t think she is really supposed to.  She will be graduating in a short 4 years and while I can’t see us letting her go way to school until she is at least 18, all kids need to separate in order to become self-sufficient.   I just wish they could be a little nicer about it.  Does anybody remember being 12/13 and what did you wish the adults around you knew?  What would have made your life better?

3 comments:

  1. OMG - teens - well, remember to be firm, fair and reasonable. Make sure you are not just having a knee jerk reaction to something you perceive as ugly -and most of all, let her begin to make decisions about everyday things.... a little at a time... You will be fine.

    Ok - by anyone do you mean this is now open to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who was in foster care I mean, can submit a post by email. we, the administrators will post it for them. Are you ok with that?

    As far as the tween goes it is all about turning in her home work! It is insanity I tell ya! Basically I think because she is 12 she is having her 6th grade year in 8th grade. Which I would have been ok with had she done this in 6th grade at 10, but it is making me nervous with her going to high school next year, where grads count and are permanent.

    And the smart mouth, which I can't really hold against her, she comes by that honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have no issue with formers and fosters posting, I really have issues with sw's, and fp's - at least those that were not fosters.... I know, old habits and prejudices..... sigh.

    I have a 12 year old nephew with the same issues - I think it really is a puberty thing. The smart mouth, maybe she does come by it honestly, but if I were you (because it won't serve her well in life) I would put a screeching halt to it. It was something that I had issues with as an adult - because I did it in foster care.

    ReplyDelete