Saturday, March 26, 2011

How Can I Help?

I have often wondered how I can help the youngers (what I call current and just aged out fosters) and have considered a thousand things.  One, adopting the older kids so that they have that safety net of a home that won't just runaway or where they are not ending up back in the situation from hell.... Or just doing foster care for teens (which is what I am working on right now).  Then a friend mentioned something that set off a bell inside me.

I really have to know, who teaches us to do the simple stuff that is normal in everyday life?  I know that I was lucky, I have a natural talent for cooking so as long as I had a place to cook and a little food, hungry wasn't an issue.  But I had no idea how to dress or act in public or at work.  I am 50 this year and it took all these years to just learn not to be a biotch to everyone I didn't like.

I know how to dress and do make up now.  But I had a lot of help over the years by people that did it out of pity.....

Well, thinking about that made me think of another idea..... what if we helped each other?  I mean, anyone who wants to know how to cook, or sew or stuff like that, I can help.  But I know nothing about a lot of the girly stuff - my nails look like a guys.  What if I helped someone learn how to cook and they helped me understand how to keep my hands pretty?

We can help each other.  After all, who else won't laugh when we ask why we have to floss our teeth or if that dress really looks slutty or how to put on mascara (at age 20)?

Just a thought.....

2 comments:

  1. Exactly Lori, I had lots of silly little things I had no idea about, and wasn’t sure who to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! So many times I have found myself in an awkward situation because I did not know the proper way to interact with someone. Because I never truly had a father I didn't grow up with a basic knowledge of how to maintain a car, fix a flat, or even follow the basic rules of a sports game. It would have been awesome to have a place to come and ask my silly questions. The ones that "normal" people deem as common sense. Not sure how much I have to offer, but I look forward to contributing whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete