Tuesday, May 3, 2011

We Have to Help

The last post made me cry.  It reminded me of so many of the kids that I grew up around.  I was older, 12.5 when I went into the system.  I knew that no one would want me.  Pretty much a given at that age.  But some of my foster sibs were like 4 and 5 years old when they were put in care.  They got nothing... and most of them are gone, I can't even find them now in the information age.

Everyone thinks that foster kids are trouble.  That we somehow caused everything.... We know better.  We have to help the kids from now, we have to.

3 comments:

  1. It is the reality of what so many are going through even now. My husband and I have decided to foster adopt, and have gathered information for this process. Just waiting for a couple more months till my husband gets out of the Marine Corps, so we can buy a house big enough to fit our family. This is not for everybody, but as I have told myself many times, if not YOU then WHO and if not NOW then WHEN? It pains me to know there are children left in a broken system, and with some, no one to come see about them. I think it's our duty as former fosters to at least give back, whether it's being a mentor to someone or opening up your home, either way it's just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to foster older kids - they are the ones most in need. No one wants them and they end up with nothing and no one to care enough to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly my plan Lori, no one wants the teenagers or pre teens, the little babies are snatched up quick, but the older ones are left and forgotten. I call them our (Forgotten children)

    ReplyDelete